A 22-year-old gang rape victim allegedly ended her life by hanging at her house in a village here, after being threatened by the accused’s family, police said. The family had been forcing her to reach a compromise in the case.

The victim’s mother alleged that she was under excessive mental stress ever since the crime was perpetrated in August last year. The accused’s family had been forcing her to reach a compromise in the case while threatening her to frame in another case if she refused.

“She was already disturbed and depressed. Unable to bear the repeated threats by the accused’s family, she finally ended her life on Thursday,” the mother said.

Chandausi circle officer A.K. Singh, said, “The preliminary investigation suggests that the victim was under stress and that was the reason why she took the extreme step. Her family alleged that she was being repeatedly threatened and forced by the accused’s family to reach a compromise. The body has been sent for a post-mortem examination and a probe is underway.” The woman; a student of B.A and also a private school teacher had not disclosed the crime to her family for around five months fearing that the accused, who had filmed the act; would make the video public.

In January, she lodged a complaint with the Sambhal police, following which the accused was arrested.

Lahore ATC indicted the accused in the motorway gang rape case.

The court has indicted the main suspect, Abid Malhi, and co-accused Shafat alias Bagga. ATC Judge Arshad Hussain Bhutta heard the case in Camp Jail. The court after the indictment of the accused also recorded the statements of 10 prosecution witnesses.

The court adjourned the hearing for today (Thursday). In the challan of the case; police stated that accused Shafqat confessed to his crime and recorded his confessional statement under 164 CrPC; before the court of Judicial Magistrate Rehman Ilahi. It was further said that Abid, the prime suspect; also confessed to his crime and recorded his statement before the investigation officer under 161 CrPC. It was stated that the DNA of both accused had matched with the DNA found on the body of the victim. Moreover, the investigation started after police got the lead of DNA match from the Fort Abbas 2013 rape case. The Police also made recovery of cell phones of both the accused.